Our Vision is
"to allow the evolution of Ennerdale as a wild valley for the benefit of people, relying more on natural processes to shape its landscape and ecology"
Thinking big > landscape scale
Working as one > beyond ownership & management
Giving nature freedom > natural processes shaping the
Planning long term > no fixed end point or prescriptive
Self-sustaining > low input systems and redirecting existing
Our Stewardship Plan sets out 15 key principles which we use to help make decisions by and act as points of reference to guide the partners approach on decision making in Ennerdale.
The overarching principle is that any action should fit within and refer back to the vision at all times.
Our key principles are:
- Protect and enhance the sense of wildness
- Give freedom for natural processes to enable more robust, resilient and better functioning ecosystems to develop
- Only intervene where complementary to the vision or where a threat to the vision is posed
- Operate as a partnership in all aspects of decision making, implementation and research proving mutual support across partners
- Celebrate and apply the learning experiences that all partners gain from their involvement
- Promote Wild Ennerdale and its constituent partners’ involvement within it
- Focus practical management, monitoring and decision making at a landscape scale using the Stewardship Plan as the main tool for guidance
- Strive to put people at the heart of the environment through public enjoyment, engagement and connection with nature Our Vision:" to allow the evolution of Ennerdale as a wild valley for the benefit of people relying more on natural processes to shape its landscape and ecology "
- Support business opportunities that are appropriate and fitting with our branding and vision
- Promote the management of partner assets within the valley to reflect the vision
- Promote improved structure and diversity of habitats to sustain healthy wildlife and functioning ecosystems based on the Lawton principles of ‘more, bigger, better and joined up’
- Consider, respect and continue to monitor the historical and cultural assets of the valley
- Promote the natural capital approach to further understand the broader value of Wild Ennerdale
- Share information and promote case studies to demonstrate and inspire others, prompting engagement across a wider sphere of influence.
- Protect and enhance the distinctive landscape and character of Ennerdale.